A couple of years ago, I received an invitation to my High School 25th reunion. Which, let’s face it, was impossible considering I’d only graduated from high school 5 years ago…. Right?! … sigh. Unfortunately, although my brain was still telling me that I was only in my mid-twenties, the reality was that I was 40. And I was four kids deep and 35 pounds heavier. I was not going to show up to that stupid reunion, looking like someone’s middle aged mom. I needed to lose weight, and fast. I researched ‘How to lose 30 lbs in 1 second’ and came up empty handed. It was apparent I was going to have to work a little harder at this. To be fair, it took 25 years to put the weight on, unfortunately it would take me a little longer than a summer to take it back off. But, how to speed up the process? Surely there was a way.
A Carb By Any Other Name Is Still A Carb
What is a refined carb? Any grain-based food that has had the bran and germ extracted during processing. Basically, it removes the fiber and most of the nutritional value. So you’re left with empty filler.
- 1) Pasta: instead of pasta, try making noodles out of things like spaghetti squash or zucchini, there are tons of videos out there to help with this, and it’s actually very delicious. Or try just leaving the pasta out completely.
- 2) Bread: This is a hard one for a lot of people, but there are so many alternatives to bread. If you absolutely must have it, try a 100% whole grain bread, but read the label! Make sure there are no added sugars. More on that later. Bread alternatives can be as easy as lettuce wraps or as complicated as using cauliflower to make dough for your pizza. It’s up to you. Get creative!
- 3) White Rice: Yeah. It’s just not good for you. Sorry. Try a brown rice or a wild rice mix. Cauliflower rice is always an option as well, and it’s not difficult to make.
- 4) Snack foods (it’s ok to cry, we all go through it): Even if you shop for sugar-free or low-fat snacks, they’re usually over processed and really not as healthy for you as you think. Read the labels. Stock your snack bin with things like almonds, fresh cut veggies or boiled eggs.
- 5) Sugar: This one is the hardest to avoid. I know it sounds easy, but it’s hidden in everything from ketchup to yogurt. Read your labels. It’s sneaky.
Other Offenders to Avoid When Losing Weight Fast
- 1) Alcohol: In addition to the extra calories, alcohol stays in your system and is the first fuel your body burns. This means that it can’t burn fat if it’s busy burning those two glasses of wine you had with your supper. Put a cork in it.
- 2) Fatty meats: Stick with lean meats like chicken, fish and lean beef if you’re looking to shed pounds fast.
- 3) Sodium: It brings out the flavor in so much, but it also helps your body retain water.
- 4) Sugar-free foods: I know, I know. I just said that you can’t have sugar and now I’m telling you not to eat sugar free foods? Check the labels. Pick up a package of sugar free cookies and compare it to the regular ones. Sugar free ones have additives and sugar alternatives that are not healthy. Not to mention, sometimes the carbohydrate content is even higher in the sugar free snacks.
- 5) Dairy products: Whole milk has a high sugar content and cheese is loaded with fat. If you’re looking to lose weight fast, it’s time to put Bessie out to pasture.
Make it Stick
With some attitude shifts and some lifestyle changes, I was able to shed that weight and arrived at my reunion looking fabulous. My biggest success story is that my 30th reunion is just around the corner and I’ve managed to keep the weight off. I eat better, I feel better, I live better.